Saturday, June 13, 2009

Coraline Movie Review

Note: A little image heavy sorry, I haven't figured out thumbnails just yet and they get cut off. Oh well click for full view.

Photobucket

Today I saw Coraline, an animated stop-motion 3D fantasy film based on the book "Coraline," 2002 by Neil Gaiman. It was written and directed by Henry Selick. Selick is also known for his work on films such as "James and the Giant Peach," "The Nightmare before Christmas" and even "The Life Aquatic: with Steve Zissou." (one of my favourite movies)

I don't remember the last time I saw a 3D movie. All I can comment is the glasses have gotten smaller and less dorky looking. However some things don't change like when the movie starts and your eyes/ brain have to accustom to the 2 images overlayed on the screen and you keep taking off the glasses to see what the screen looks like without them. I did however develop a little headache someway through the movie most probably because I was sitting too close to the screen because the cinema was pretty much packed out. Once the novelty of the 3D died down you could become engrossed with the plot/story of the movie. Having not read the book I was blissfully unaware of any differences between the two. I thought initially the movie started a little slow story/plotwise. What made up for it was basically the aesthetics of the movie. I have a deep love for the aesthetics of stop motion animation and am currently making an animation of my own at the moment. Coraline is a visual feast for the eyes. The 3D aspect of the movie complements it really well, since in stop-motion production detail is such a crucial thing. Whether in the facial movement of a character right down to a tiny branch on a tree. 



Photobucket
Coraline in production. How epic.
I really enjoyed the textures of all the models and sets. They are really a treat for the eyes. Here are a few examples.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The story as a I said slow at first and a bit cliche with the usual themes of escapism relating to the fantasy genre and moral dilemmas that an 11 year old girl faces in life when she moves to a new house. However towards the end it builds to this touching story that I could really relate to. Basically the story revolves around the relationship Coraline has with her parents. The other characters, the neighbours are charming and highly amusing in the film. Coraline was voiced by a good mix of actors Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, John Hodgman (pc man in those mac ads). I have to say Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French were the outstanding voices in this movie.  If one was to summarise the movie without spoiling the movie. It's a mixture of Casper the friendly ghost, beetlejuice, alice in wonderland and my mum's sewing box. Hahaha its creepy in a good way.

Photobucket

My first reaction to this, alice?

So generally this story grew on me while I was watching it. I guessed a few a things that would happen etc, but I find movies nowadays are like that unless its the most non-linear messed up piece of work. Also as a children's movie its something adults can enjoy too because there are certain scenes that even the most controlled adult would burst out laughing (all I'm going to say is think fat woman and sequins). The main concern for me nowadays is I'm not impressed by the endings of a movie. Coraline didn't disappoint ending on a lighthearted note.

Coraline will be wide released 6th of August 2009.

In summary:

Story 

Visual 

OVERALL

 

4 comments:

  1. i read coraline when i was young haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey kez i didn't even realise you had a blog! yay we're blogbuddies now!!

    LOL who wouldn't go in for t he iphone :D

    Liking the look of this your posts. Hope exams are going well

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. visual 5/5 ??
    wow, i gotta watch this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. alice and coraline were both inspirations for pans labyrinth, put that in your pipe and smoke it

    ReplyDelete