Argh been so busy...
I was going to write about Nazis but when I went to look on my shelves I discovered all these notes and school diaries from Highschool.
Here's a random one I opened:
To Keziah,
Why on earth did you pick June 17-22 the page for me to write in?
If you really want a good page turn to page 68. Well bye bye Freziah
From Tashi
(Page 68 consists of Tash spamming the page where her birthday is and something about geography & french being boring.) This was in 2002. Haha
It got me thinking about Nostalgia especially since I'm graduating this year and my birthday was last weekend. There was an interesting article in the New York Times about Generation Y and nostaglia. Here
It has some interesting views about this loss of innocence.
"Millennials see the world before Sept. 11 as a period of innocence. Our biggest worry was the Y2K bug. That all seems a world away now."
However there is a lighter comedic side to things.
Aaron Eisenberg, a 20-year-old theater major at Northwestern, fondly recalled his Austin Powers Halloween costume, the day he bought the Backstreet Boys’ “Millennium” album, and how much funnier Adam Sandler was when he blew off steam in films like “Happy Gilmore” and “The Waterboy.”
“He’s not as angry as he used to be,” Mr. Eisenberg said.
And don’t even bring up Blu-ray.
“I miss VHS tapes,” he said. “I can’t find a way to watch any of my Power Rangers videos.”
Talk about fantastic kids shows the late 80s and 90s ruled! I've been watching too much Gummi Bears and X-men.
So I haven't talked about Nazis at all yet, well everyone knows what Nazism is. National Socialism refering to the practices of the National Socialist German Party under Adolf Hitler. I guess its one of those taboo subjects where if anyone talks about Nazism in a positive way they're automatically an idiot or crazy person. In some strange way I empathise with the German people. Not saying I agree with their ideolgy or actions. One has to understand it was a response to the Great Depression and the instability it created, Capitalism and Communism both failing to stabilise the economy. The fact we study about them is a reason why I did modern history. A way to reflect upon society and culture gaining a better understanding of humanity.
On another note I met a lovely guy from Germany today but I forgotten his name already...Franz maybe.
All this talk of nazis just made me think of a great movie and if you haven't seen it. I highly recommend it! It can be quite intense at times and its not a very happy film. It's also quite cheap I bought it for about 12 bucks on DVD.

AWWWW MAN!!
ReplyDeletei did a movie review of this on my xanga ages ago!!
its one of my all time favs!! =D
american history X is an AWESOME movie!!
=D =D =D
everyone MUST watch it.
hahahaahah